U.P. Mission Trip 2018

Final Day at the Worksites

main image

Today was the final day at the worksite. We were split back into three different teams. This morning's devotional was about shoulder taps.

Team 1: Bruce, Ed, Joe, Carlos, B, Kaitie, Dick, and Matt

At Wendy's for the last day to finish up the project we had started. There was still a lot that had to be done and some were worried about being able to finish everything. We all knew that it could be a late night trying to get everything finished up. When we arrived, Bruce put up a new kitchen light fixture first thing in the morning and then spent the rest of the morning finishing painting the kitchen.  Ed, Joe, and Carlos spent their morning putting on the Ice and Snow (Weatherwatch) on the back roof and finished covering the chimney. Dick and Matt finished hanging the rest of the cabinet doors. Making sure each of the doors opened and closed properly, which often meant changing the location of the hardware.  They also hung the door to the basement. Both the bathroom and basement doors had hooks attached to the outside to help keep Hayley out. Dick and Matt hung wood in front of the crawlspace door and then added some insulation. Of course it wouldn't be a mission trip without B and Kaitie burning again. They spent a few hours in the morning burning all the wood that came out of the basement and the wainscoting from the kitchen. 

B spent hours cleaning silverware, kitchen cookware and knick-knacks. Unfortunately, there is no hot water so this meant microwaving bowls of water every few minutes to get water hot enough to wash everything.  Kaitie weatherproofed the new gate on the deck and the mailbox post. 

After lunch Ed, Joe, and Carlos loaded up the trailer full of the trash we had created and the trash that came out of the basement and took it to the dump.  This trip took a little longer than anticipated because of the many stops to load the trash back on after it had blown off. Several drivers were polite enough to stop and yell at them for scattering debris. Kaitie nailed in the trim for the bathroom floor and put up a new bathroom light fixture. She also scraped paint off the window after it had dried.

At the end of the day the other two teams had finished their work and came over to Wendy's to help us finish up. 

Bruce and Dick put down the linoleum in the kitchen.  The island and the side cabinet were moved in and Kaitie helped screw on counter-tops. Pam and B cleaned and scrubbed and scrubbed the counter-tops to get the years of grime off.  They scrubbed so much they thought the stars were going to come off the counter design. Pictures and knick-knacks were hung back on the walls. Matt, Sharon, and Tammy were outside putting up the siding that covered up the crawlspace door. 

Once the guys came back from the dump, it was all hands on deck to pick up all the shingles off the ground that had come from the back roof. Shingles were put in the trailer for Mike to haul away. Bruce put an air vent in the sewer line for the toilet and the sink.

Team 2: Steve, Pam, Cheryl, Sharon, Tammy, and Paul

Back to the Habitat Restore for our last day to complete as many projects as we can. First things first -- move the scaffolding. Ugh... a very heavy and somewhat dangerous operation. Disassemble and move to the side door area where Paul sanded a huge white square patch to prepare it for painting. Paul and Pam spent a lot of time on the scaffolding today. Priming and painting the big white square area and the blue gray trim that surrounds it. Also, Pam and Cheryl finished up some windows on the parsonage. Sharon and Cheryl were able to scrape, prime, and paint the front windows of the church. Steve caulked as many cracks as he could find. It should keep the air, water, and bugs out much better now, plus it looks a million times nicer. Steve gave one of the giant church windows a second coat of paint. Tammy scraped, primed, and painted the trim around the entrance portico. Steve and Tammy put up some new brackets for a gutter. Steve also caulked a giant hole at the top of the portico. Small children could have fit through that thing. Now it looks like new. Thanks Steve. Sharon also helped on the portico and the front windows. At around 2pm we started the clean up process. Steve and Cheryl ran the shopvac and we all helped carry scaffolding and ladders back into the church and clean as many paint brushes as we could. At around 3pm we left Paul and Pam to finish up their doorway project. The rest of us went to Wendy's to help with whatever else needed to be done. Picking up roof pieces and nails, putting siding back, cleaning windows... you name it. It was crunch time.

Team 3: Carl and Sue

Carl and Sue were back finishing the shed for Habitat for Humanity in Eagle Harbor.  They sided 3 of the sides of the shed and put the trim pieces on the outside. The shed is made in pieces so they can move it and assemble it at the home Habitat is working at and then they leave it there for the new homeowners. They also built 2 barn doors. Carl and Sue were lucky they didn't get eaten by the neighborhood bear seen by the homeowner's daughter and dog.

Evening Activities

After a long day's work everyone went home and showered so we could meet downtown at the Ambassador's for pizza. It was nice to relax at the end of the day and share many laughs with each other.

Click here to see the latest photos.

Posted by U.P. Mission Team with

Day Three at the Worksites

main image

Today the mission team was split into the same two groups. Back at Wendy's house and at the Habitat for Humanity site to continue the projects from yesterday.

Our day began as usual with breakfast, devotions, sharing, and singing. We finally managed this morning to get a group photo out in front of the church. This may seem like an easy task to some, but as they say "herding cats." Thank you to the young ladies from Grace that helped us out.

Team 1: Sue, Carl, Ed, Joe, Carlos, Bruce, Matt, Dick, B, and Kaitie

Back at Wendy's today to continue where we left off yesterday. Ed, Joe, and Carlos worked on covering the chimney hole all day. They added some new siding where the chimney used to be. There was a lot of measuring and cutting and re-measuring and re-cutting done here.

Carlos went down in the basement and worked on the furnace. After replacing the fuse the furnace came on and the pipes started heating. It was an exciting moment to get this working again but it couldn't stay on long since the house was already hot.

Sue and Carl spent most of the day putting the finishing coat on the cabinets, doors, and drawers. The also came in the house and put the final coat of paint on the cabinet frames. 

Bruce and Dick started the morning measuring and laying the template for the kitchen flooring and then cutting the linoleum out on the deck. The flooring was rolled up and stored in the living room to be put down tomorrow once all the rest of the kitchen is painted and cabinets are put in. Bruce and Dick finished installing the toilet and got the water turned back on. Hooray no more going to the park to use the bathroom, except there's no door now and you can see right out to the street. Turning the water on revealed a few leaks that needed to be repaired in the kitchen. A whole new kitchen faucet replaced the old and the leak in the kitchen was gone.

Bruce came in the kitchen and filled several of the nail holes with patching plaster. All the nails were removed from the walls since they are a safety hazard.

Once the flooring was cut and removed from the deck, Kaitie started painting the weatherproofing on the main flooring. The deck was finished before lunchtime. It rained towards the end of the day and it was nice to see the rain beading up on the deck.

B spent several hours cleaning and scrubbing the walls in the kitchen to prep for a fresh new coat of paint. Kaitie helped scrub some of the higher areas of the walls while standing on a small stool. The guys decided they needed the ladders to prop up a fan to dry the patching plaster. This made for an afternoon of tippy toes for the ladies as they tried to finish washing the ceiling. 

Mike arrived late afternoon with a tarp for the roof. Ed, Carlos, and Joe climbed the scaffolding to help him put it on the roof before the rain rolled in. A hammer fell from the roof while Matt was walking out of the house. Luckily, he was quick on his feet and was able to avoid getting hit on the head. God is good.

The kitchen was finally prepped and ready. Bruce painted the ceiling, while B and Kaitie cut in and did the edges around the door frames and windows. Luckily the flooring is not in and we don't have to be careful about spilling paint because the floor is a little polka dotted at the present time. Linoleum will fix that. 

Matt fixed the cabinets in the bathroom that would not open and made them useable again. The bathroom door was finally hung complete with a doorknob. Matt and Dick designed and built a gate for the end of the deck. They were very patient and listened to everyone's differing opinions of how the gate should be built. The gate was added so Hayley would not wander out into the street.

Team 2: Steve, Pam, Cheryl, Sharon, Tammy, and Paul

Back at the Habitat Restore the work continued on the church building and the parsonage. Tammy and Paul were the first to arrive. Paul got his menagerie of tools prepped and staged for the day's work. Tammy set the platforms back on the scaffolding to prepare for painting.

Today Cheryl was able to completely finish the steps to the parsonage... Sanding, scraping, priming, and painting. They look beautiful Cheryl. Pam finished the sign out front with another coat of paint. Then took on multiple other tasks as well which included caulking, more painting, and making sure the team had everything they needed. Paul added a strip of flashing over a back door. Good thing too because it sure came in handy when the rain fell later in the afternoon. Good call Paul. Then he spent the day up a ladder painting, painting, and painting. Tammy and Sharon were back on the scaffolding painting another window similar to yesterday's. Scraping, priming and painting... that seems to be the order of things followed closely by cleaning up the windows with a razorblade. Steve kept busy pouring paint and toting equipment to everyone. He was also responsible for a lot of cleanup. Habitat recruited Steve for a little while to go on some pickup runs. He was able to help move multiple donation items to the truck and back to the store.

Take a look at today's photos here.

Posted by U.P. Mission Team with